Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On Motherhood

I was just sitting at work today, thinking about all of the creative endeavours I would like to embark upon at this point in my life, when a thought suddenly occurred to me. Dorky, but it just makes sense today...
I have created two amazing little boys. If I died today, there would be two lives out there - two little personalities, wonderful and funny and bright - that would continue on because of something I (well I guess Andrés had something to do with it too, lol) made.
Wow.
Pretty cool.
I never realized until I became one, but being a mom is the best. I can't understand those moms who wouldn't give everything of themselves to their kids. It actually brings me joy to buy something or do something and then think - hey, someday my kids will get that, or this is something that will be a memory for my kids.
I love that. It is so special and I am so happy that I am the type of person - the type of mom - that sees it for what it is: the most incredible experience a person could have. And the icing on the cake is that Andrés is that kind of dad. That we plan our future as a family, as a couple, and as individuals, around what will be best for the kids.
I know we are not the only parents who feel the same. But I also know that there are some parents who think that once their kids turn a certain age, they're done, that they have rights too and that their happiness is equally important as their kids' happiness. Nothing wrong with that - it is the "American way". But I'm happy to know that over here, at this house, that just won't happen.

1 comment:

Amy Elizabeth said...

Well said my dear, well said.

Most amazing job I've ever had!