Monday, September 16, 2019

What I read in August 2019

A slower reading month, as we got more guests, got a rental car, and just kept busier in general. I feel like I was fifty fifty this month - loved one book and didn't really love the other.



To Night Owl from Dogfish by Holly Goldberg Sloan and Meg Wolitzer | 5 stars. This was another recommendation from Modern Mrs. Darcy, and like most of them, it was totally worth my time. Even though it was YA, I just loved this book. The characters were so fun and interesting, and I always love a good epistolary novel. Super fun read!


The Whisper Network by Chandler Baker | 3 stars. This book was not a love, and maybe not even a like. That said, I wanted to know the ending and find out more about the characters. It had a bit of the second person plural (like Joshua Ferris's Then We Came to the End, which I enjoyed), but unlike Ferris's novel , the whole story wasn't written that way. It worked about 50% of the time. The plot was a little slow at times and the book could have been about half the length, but it was good enough, I guess. 

No comments: