Monday, March 12, 2007

First Birthday

I will have to try and get some pictures up of Nicolas and his first birthday. We had a small party and he received some cute gifts. Of course, big brother monopolized the gifts and is having trouble using the word "yours" and not "mine" with them, but after the novelty wears off I suppose it will be easier. It is so hard to teach kids to share. I need some of your advice. Do I take the toy away and give it to the other one? Do I take it away and give it to no one? Do I force big brother to play with little brother and possibly get pushed or something else if little brother plays with the "wrong" toy?

In the meantime, I am enjoying the fact that the two are actually old enough to fight. I don't like seeing them grow up so fast, but it is fun watching them interact like little people.

1 comment:

Amy Elizabeth said...

My advice goes like this...if one child is playing with a toy and the other comes up, grabs it, and takes it away it should be taken back from the 'stealing child' and given to the one who had it first. Now that the two of them are starting to 'understand' each other, it is important for them to use their words and if the little one is playing with something the older one wants, you have him ask the younger one nicely...sometimes offering one of his toys in exchange.
Of course, never had children of my own so I don't have experience or proof that this works but worth a try :-)