Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Disney Vacation

So, I haven't posted anything about our vacation, yet, probably because I have been having trouble getting back into things since we returned. What a great time, everything was perfect and the best thing was having someone cleaning up after me, cooking for me, taking me places, etc. I loved the hotel and having the pool and while it was miserably hot I secretly loved the heat (as usual). Right now I am sitting at work with a heating unit full blast on my legs and I feel like I am never going to thaw. So, bring on the heat! I will complain but just because that's what I do!

The kids of course had the bext time. We saw all four parks, but the Magic Kingdom is of course the best one. I wish we had spent all our time there, maybe one day at Epcot. I didn't get on any adult rides, but just watching the kids get so excited for Dumbo was the best. The 55-minute line full of young adults waiting to get on could have been a bit more pleasant, but oh well. It was busy. What can you do?

On a side note, I just love going to the U.S. and experiencing all that space. Everyone takes it for granted (except those in NYC I suppose, that cement jungle is a special type of hell), but in a place like Minnesota you just figure everywhere in the world the yards are big, the avenues wide with little traffic, the trees shadow the streets and there are virtually no people since you do not see evidence of people everywhere you go. So I didn't appreciate the crowds in the parks, but the hotel was big and not so crowded and we spent a day renting a car and just driving around and I loved just soaking up all the extra space there is to be had. And to imagine how big the Disney property is, well, that is another thing. From our hotel it was a 20-minute drive on a highway to Magic Kingdom. All within the Disney property. Crazy. Scary, too, how big that place is and how powerful in a sense. But I am not going to dwell on the evils of Disney because as long as I got my money's worth of a vacation I guess I can shut up about it. But man, there is a lot of money in that place. That's all I'm going to say. That and comment how a recent article came out here in Ecuador where the public complained about the high cost of public transportation (25 cents). Just to put things into perspective.

I think it was just great having a true family vacation, just the four of us to do what we want when we want and where we want without having to worry about boring someone else or what someone else wants to do. Not to be selfish, but just to know that if the kids are tired we can go back to the hotel, even though we didn't "finish" all of our plans. Or, if the kids wanted to have chicken nuggets for the 115th meal in a row, it was fine. Very refreshing to have that kind of freedom. We will have to do more of those things, I think. My next idea was trying a trip somewhere down here, in South America, like maybe Argentina or Chile, or up to an island in the Caribe, like San Andres. We'll have to see, there are so many places in Ecuador I still don't know, but I see that as the boys get older it will be easier and easier to take those types of vacations.

No comments: