Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter 2011



Easter isn't really celebrated here much in Ecuador. Yes, there is vacation, and fanesca, but there is no decorating, or talk on the TV or radio about the Easter bunny or spring sales or what-have-you, and so every year I think I am going to forget about Easter Sunday. So far, luckily, I have always remembered, sometimes at the last minute.


Yesterday we decorated eggs, so the kids reminded me before they went to bed that the next day the Easter bunny would be coming. I don't know how many more Easters we will have of our beloved bunny, but this year the bunny obviously thought that since the kids were getting older, they could handle more difficult hiding spots. It took us a good half hour to find all the eggs and the baskets.


We had a great call later in the afternoon from our family in Minnesota! I was completely surprised! I was in the middle of making suncatchers (I always remembered them as so fun and easy, but now being the adult in charge - and in charge of clean up - I realize that making those things is a bit stressful!). The suncatchers took over an hour to bake, maybe even two hours (is it the altitude? I blame everything on the altitude! Even my moods, haha) and now they are on the kids' window. I will share a picture tomorrow.

In the meantime, we had a lazy day at home. With a little inspiration from my sister, we had cola-glazed ham, delmonico potatoes, mixed veggies (frozen), pickle dip, and French silk pie. We spent the day playing games with the kids like Wii, Go Fish, Old Maid and War (remember that one, Grandpa Dan?) and saw a movie on our new big screen at night.


Oh, and I went for a walk. Just like the last few days, it was sunny and nice (or at least not raining, it really hasn't been very sunny here) when I started off, and by the time I came home, lightning and thunder, and a downpour as I walk through the door.


We decorated white eggs this year, which turned out nicer, and now we've got a pound of egg salad in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch! :)

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Love it!! Looks like you guys had an awesome day! :-)