Thursday, April 28, 2011

Playing grown up

Sometimes I look around my house and feel like it will never be decorated the way I want it to be. It always looks cluttered, yet unfinished. I think that my kids will have memories of this house being what a "grown up" house looks like, but in my opinion, it doesn't come close to how I remember my childhood home looking. Our house on Saint Albans always seemed so cozy, a bit packed and full (five kids, after all, will take up a lot of room!). We had "enough" furniture, things on the walls, a table and chair set that wasn't broken (or about to break) and that looked sturdy and able to withstand the kids. There were things there like fireplaces and hutches and cabinets for dishes, and a dishwasher and all the rooms had overhead light fixtures. There were lamps in the living room and frames and pictures decorating the walls. And even though I hated piano lessons, there was a beautiful piano and a grandfather clock that rounded off the look and made it all seem like it belonged together.

In our house we have furniture, but everything seems put together haphazardly. (Which it is - the accumulation of things from when we first got married, piecing together things decade by decade, haha.)

Anyhow, one thing Andres has always wanted was a bar, a place for his wine collection and glasses. We are not big drinkers by any stretch of the imagination, but it is something that, to him, meant our house is becoming complete.

He found this amazing and gorgeous bar at a department store about a month ago, and went ahead and got it. The price was outrageous, but it looks so nice in our living room and has made things come together better that it is worth every penny.


I love opening it up and looking at it. It's so fun to have some "grown up" furniture!

Umm, now we need to complete our wine glass sets (they break so easily...)

4 comments:

Amy Elizabeth said...

This is a good entry.
I like the thoughts behind this and it is weird to look at your own house sometimes and think that this is the house and the memories that your kids will have of growing up.
Starts to spook me! This is real. I am growing humans! YIKES!

Chris Miller said...

It sounds like you have some good memories of your childhood "home".
That makes me happy.

Anonymous said...

Could be worse... we have kids so nothing will look right, not be broken at some point, and most stuff revolves around their needs... like a shelf with coloring books, Leapster game stuff, etc.

Chrissy said...

I remember wanting a "grown up house" when the kids were little. Now that I have a very mature looking house, the kids are grown up. I guess you can't have both!