Friday, January 04, 2013

Waiting nervously


Today was one of those days where you feel a little out of sorts. Andrés's dad was going in to surgery to have his prostate removed (cancer was found about a month ago, luckily it hasn't spread so surgery was a "good" option).

I spent the morning waiting for news, then heard at about noon that Andrés's mom and brother had to rush to the Red Cross to get 2 liters of blood, that he was hemorrhaging and the surgery was taking longer than usual (apparently the prostate was very connected to the body and there was a lot of fat and fibrous tissue the doctor had to get through). We spent a few nervous hours waiting (Andrés's mom fighting at the Red Cross - it took them over an hour to release the blood!) but now he's out and doing OK. He is receiving the blood and his color has come back. Andrés spent the entire afternoon and evening there (I stayed home with the kids - no kids allowed), but tomorrow we'll be going in early in the morning (we'll take turns visiting). I'm glad that things seem to be OK and wish him a speedy recovery. They are saying about 4 days in the hospital and then 30-40 days bed rest. It'll be a long road, but as long as he is healthy (and hopefully not in too much pain, but that remains to be seen) everything should be fine.


I have to admit, I got especially nervous this afternoon when I found out a kid I graduated with passed away suddenly today. It was so strange because this morning I was going through my Facebook friends list and saw his name, and thought about him for a second (we were never friends but I recognized his name when he friended me). Then I saw a post on Facebook a few hours later from my cousin, Teresa, saying that her daughter's uncle, Otis Walker (the guy), had passed away. She said he graduated class of '91 at Como, and I just knew. It felt so eerie, that just that morning I had seen his name and paused at it for a second. If I had opened his page I probably would have seen the RIPs. It was strange too that we had that connection through my cousin's daughter (Samantha).

I don't really know what happened, but he was only 39. It just goes to remind us all that we can go at anytime, so make the most of the time we have.


3 comments:

Amy Elizabeth said...

It is so sad- I graduated with his sister. Haven't heard any other details either.

So scary about Eduardo! So happy to hear that he is doing ok.

chris miller said...

Now that we know, we will be sending prayers and good thoughts his way. Hope everything goes well from now on,(esp., after the blood fiasco).
chris miller

Jennie said...

Super scary about Eduardo! I had no idea--definitely sending prayers and good thoughts your way!!!

And that is very eerie about the guy you graduated with--makes you think a little.. :-/

Keep us posted on Eduardo please!