Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Walking Tour #1: The Street of the Seven Crosses


Today Grandpa Dan and I started the first of our walking tours of downtown colonial Quito. The tour today was of García Moreno street - named so after the president who was assassinated on the street many many years ago. But it used to be known as the Street of the Seven Crosses, since you could look down the street and see seven crosses of churches from the top. I have always heard of the seven crosses, but have never taken the time to "get to know them", so to speak. Today was the perfect opportunity!

The first cross: Santa Barbara Church.



One nice thing about getting downtown around 10 a.m. is that the churches are open. I had never been in this church before, so it was nice to go inside. A very humble, modest church.



The second cross: La Concepción Church. The picture was discovered a few years ago and now has been restored. Nice to look up and see that there - I almost never even knew there was a church on that corner!

Also open, also one I don't think I have ever gone inside. It never ceases to amaze me how beautiful and unique every church in Quito is.

Not sure - possibly Santa Marianita de Jesús? Very interesting - I don't think I have ever seen a woman on the cross before.

The third cross at the Cathedral, right in Plaza Grande. Not open. I think I forgot to get a shot of the cross!



But nice doors. Someday I am going to do a picture tour of different doors and windows in Quito.


The fourth cross: El Sagrario.

Breathtaking inside. Look at that ceiling!


The fifth cross: La Compañía.




The sixth: El Carmen Alto.


The seventh cross will be for another day. Once we got to El Carmen Alto the characters on the street started getting a bit shadier and creepier and we decided not to risk it. Plus - our feet were starting to hurt!

No comments: