Sunday, May 13, 2018

Week in the Life 2018 | Saturday (Words + Photos)

Happy to be starting the weekend, even if this weekend will be busy-ish in the mornings and there won't be much sleeping in.

I tried to get up at 6, but simply couldn't get myself out of bed until 6:30. I don't know why it's so hard to wake up in the morning. It doesn't seem to matter how many hours of sleep I get. Thyroid? Sinusitis? Allergies? Who knows.

These two took their showers at 7 and then came down for a quick breakfast.


Of course, as usual, Andrés teases Nico that he's going to make him eggs for breakfast. Nico has recently informed us that he does not like eggs, AND NEVER HAS, thank you very much. I don't blame him as I was never a big egg fan myself when I was younger (strangely enough, I like them now).



Eggs with salsa for Andrés and I, PopTarts ("tostadas americanas" according to Shushú = American toast) for Agus, cereal for Nico. I also had some crackers with this almond butter I got from Trader Joe's in Chicago. This stuff is seriously delish.


On our way out the door. All of the guys prefer to pose for pictures rather than have me get candid shots (my personal preference). I have to be sneaky and turn off the volume on my phone and then take the shot, pretending I'm on Facebook or something.


I don't always fool them. Agus obviously doesn't trust what I'm up to.


Getting in the car. Until recently, Nico would always try to get in on the same side as Agustín. He still sometimes does, to the annoyance of his brother, who does not appreciate being climbed over by a huge twelve-year-old.


Nico notices that I'm taking pictures and decides to sabotage my efforts. This is really funny to him. To me too.


Looks like it might be sunny. It's 8 a.m. and we'll be outside the whole morning, so I really hope it's warm enough for no socks.


15 minutes later we are at the school. We send the kids ahead of us so they can get into their classrooms and do what they need to do.


Love how Agustín turns around and gives me the peace sign. I think sometimes the whole Week in the Life, Project Life, Day in the Life etc. projects seem silly to them. But they're so much fun looking back on. How lucky are we to live in this day and age where documenting the little (and big) things in our lives is so easy!


Taking a look at the stage before we go down and the kids get there. Today the school is celebrating Family Day (a combination of Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Kids' Day - celebrated here on June 1st). There will be lots of dancing and singing performances.


Love that the boys sat next to each other. Love that Agustín pays such close attention to the performances, while all the other students talk and chitchat. Love that he complained afterwards that he couldn't hear his classmate's, Maria Emilia's, poetry reading because the kids were too loud and no one paid attention. He was always attentive and respectful like that.


I imagine it is so annoying to listen to me go on and on about how cold I always am. But it's just the worst and knowing we only have one life to live I always second guess where I've chosen to. I really need to live in a tropical climate.


Nico was in the choir with 4th, 5th, and 6th (his) grade. I don't know if you could call this a choir. They sang a song from Sin Bandera: "Que me alcance la vida". Super depressing and sad song for a Family Day celebration but we practiced it all last night and he finally knew the words. Just in time!



Back at home we took out the recycling. Nico turned this boring task into a game by throwing the containers into the corresponding bins, like shooting baskets.


Nico's shoes "exploded" last week, so we took a new pair off his shelf. This is how we do it - buy 1-2 pairs per size while in the States and then we have them ready to go when they need new shoes. A new pair of shoes here (brand name) costs about $250 or more. So, we'll keep bringing them on our trips. It saves a lot of money in the long run. Soccer kids really go through shoes.


We went out for Mother's Day today. Tomorrow will be too crazy and busy. The boys wanted to go to Chili's. They've never liked Chili's much but now they do. Go figure.


Bottomless tostada chips for the win.


Agus wanted to try something new this time, so he got the chicken strips with country gravy. He likes this type of dish - gravy and biscuits or gravy on fried chicken. Andrés got a Philly cheeseteak sandwich, but he didn't love it.


Nico and I shared a dish (an adult size is still too big for him, and I don't need the extra calories). Nico chose Honey Chipotle Crispy Chicken Crispers - sauce on the side. He wanted the corn but gave me some of the fries and half the chicken. It was more than enough for the both of us and really delish. Loved leaving the restaurant without feeling so stuffed and full.


A quick trip to the grocery store to pick up some groceries for tomorrow's lunch. Oh, these kids were NOT happy at all. They whined and complained the entire time, but they did smile for the photo. They do not like grocery shopping, and I can't blame them because I never did at that age, either, and still don't (much).


Got home and the sun was shining so I made the decision - without thinking about it much (or I would talk myself out of it) - to take my walk. I really want to work up to three miles a day. Right now I'm at three kilometers (about 1.8 miles) and it takes me like 45 minutes (so out of shape!) so I need to build up stamina a bit more. But so happy I'm making this a habit.


Not a lot of beauty on the walk - but saw these pretty wildflowers and had to get a picture.


Back home I rested a bit, did some light cleaning and prep for tomorrow (was feeling quite sore - feet and knees especially) and then started on a new blanket. I'm following the Moogly 2018 CAL and decided not to buy new yarn for it. I'm going to use up all the bits and pieces of yarn that I have. It will definitely be colorful and may not work color-wise but I don't want to buy more yarn until I've used up my stash.


Andrés wanted me to get a picture of him opening his Hickory Farms set - which we decided to have for supper (a "tablita" of ham and cheese as they say here). Getting the daily meals on the table would never happen if it weren't for Andrés. I'm too lazy and it overwhelms me to constantly come up with things people want, then make sure I have the ingredients and then actually make it. I'd rather be crocheting.


After supper Andrés didn't want the kids on their devices so he pulled out Pokeno. Agustín put some music on in the background (his playlist, although he quickly noticed Hannah had updated hers) and we divided up the chips. Nico wasn't too happy (he is obsessed with Minecraft and resents anything that takes his attention away from it, which means this type of activity is very healthy for him), but as we played, he warmed up a bit more.


Agus beat us all! "That's why" Nico doesn't like to play, he quickly informed us, because he "never wins."


Once again, the nightly routine: PJs, brush teeth, read Harry Potter with Nico while Agus plays on his phone or listens to music, then "peluche talk" and bed. Tonight after the kids went to bed I made Andrés and I a gin and tonic (which turned out so good) and he turned on the TV. The only thing playing was an old movie ("Land of the Lost") - which was so bad and horrible and...well, I've "seen" this movie a few times and it doesn't impress me - it actually makes me feel like the human race is on its way to extinction. Needless to say, I fell asleep in the middle and that was it for me!

One more day of Week in the Life!

No comments: