Wednesday, April 10, 2019

What I Read in January 2019

One of the things I've wanted to do with my blog for a long time is keep track of my reading habits and what I've read each month. So, I've decided to just go ahead and do that, even though it is almost mid-April and seems like a strange starting point. But I love going back to my Goodreads page and seeing the different books I've read, and I wish I had just a little more information about each one: what I thought about it, why I read it, what I liked or didn't like about it.

January 2019
I started the year off strong, as I often do. January is usually a good reading month for me. I have set a Goodreads Reading Challenge of 40 books this year. This is the same number I've done for a few years now. Some years I get close, others not even halfway, but this year I'd really like to try to break that threshold - just because that will mean I'm reading enough. I just love books so much and need to make the time for them like I used to.


Here's what I read:

A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea: One Refugee's Incredible Story of Love, Loss, and Survival by Melissa Fleming | I read this because I was invited to join the Hearts and Homes for Refugees Book Club. We will be reading a book a month, and each one will be about a refugee's story. I love these kinds of books because we get a glimpse into a real life story. I honestly can not imagine what some of these people have been through so sometimes I leave the book feeling hopeless and despondent, but overall I am so glad I took the time to hear this story and understand a bit more about the refugee crisis in Syria.

Calypso by David Sedaris | I was really looking forward to this one, since I've enjoyed Sedaris's books in the past. I didn't love it as much as I thought I might - it seemed a bit dark at times but there definitely were a few moments where I smiled or laughed out loud. Overall, it felt a bit sad and nostalgic, but not in a bad way. In the end, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't the light, funny read that I expected.

Becoming by Michelle Obama | This is one of my all-time favorite books EVER. Not because I am necessarily a fan of Obama - I didn't know much about her before reading - but because she tells such a great story, writes so eloquently, and has great insight. I read this as a library loan on my Kindle but this is one I think I may need to buy to add to my collection and reread at will.

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman | Another all-time favorite. I had checked this book out of the library a couple of different times, and never seemed to get around to reading it. I finally picked this up (on my Kindle) and after the first two pages was immediately hooked. Eleanor Oliphant is an endearing, special character who will live in my imagination for years. Really, really enjoyed the story, the writing, and the character development.

It was a good reading month!

No comments: