Tuesday, April 30, 2019

What I'm thinking about for Week in the Life 2019 (May 6-12)


I’m really looking forward to Week in the Life 2019. Most years I don’t actually complete an album, but I still love the process of looking closely at our lives, looking at our daily routines and then being able to compare how things are the same and how things are different from one year to the next.

It seems like there's always laundry waiting to be folded. The good thing is the kids help with this now.
As I gear up for this next week of documentation, I'm thinking about being more mindful about the type of photos I take. This may be hard because I haven’t done a good job of taking pictures I like in the last year or so. So this year for WITL I really want to concentrate on finding shots that look good, that represent little pieces of our lives, and that are taken purposefully and not just as an afterthought, before we go to bed because I forgot to take pictures that day. This is my intention – we will see if it plays out or not.

I'm thinking about finding some common themes on a daily basis (I’m hoping this will help with my intention). For example, I want to document what I (we) eat morning, noon, and evening throughout each day. I want to take pictures of these foods and then feature at least one on a tag I’ve created beforehand.

I'm thinking about focusing on gratitude. It would be nice to finish each day with something simple that I'm thankful for. I’d like to pair it with a picture but that might mean too much planning for the busy week ahead. 
Falling asleep after a busy morning of dentist appointments, running errands and doing some homework (reading).
I'm thinking about paying attention to the fine details of our day, in particular the things we say and do when we are home together as a family: what are the things we are talking about at the dinner table? What are the jokes Agus plays on his brother? What are the things Nico “corrects” us about each day? What things do they say to each other? What stories are they telling? 

I'm thinking about paying more attention to what they are doing online. What are their favorite games and apps at the moment (I know some but not all). What snaps are they sending to each other? What pictures are they taking? What homework do they have?

I'm thinking about getting each person to write their own story during the week, to get a different perspective, maybe add in their own handwriting as well.

Typical view on a lazy Saturday. Sitting next to Nico while he does homework.

It’s always fun to see the passage of time in this way. Words + photos for the win.

No comments: