Monday, May 20, 2019

Week in the Life 2019 | Saturday Words + Photos

Welcome, weekend! Today was a busy day, but a fun one spent mostly in family. 



It's really hard for me to wake up, so I like to sleep in on the weekend, but then I wake up and feel guilty that I'm eating breakfast at 9 am. Today Andres had to work early and so he was out of the house by 7, which actually meant I ended up getting out of bed earlier than I probably would have otherwise.


Decided to start the day off right with a little treadmill walk. Watched cooking show reruns while I walked.


Stopped at a mile - I really want to go at least a mile (it seems so little!) each time I exercise. Ultimately, my goal would be a 5K every day, but I see that I will need to dedicate a lot more time to that in order to make it happen.


I had my breakfast before the boys got up. Some protein and carbs. There is no fruit in the house, so this was it. The kids got up and had some cereal. They also got interested in the toast I had, so they opened up a jar of peanut butter and made PB & J sandwiches as well. 


Andres was home by 10:30 and got to work on the agrio for today's lunch. We've been invited to his grandma's for Mother's Day and we're going to have a traditional plate of hornado as our main meal.


I decided to take a few minutes to do my nails, but this turned into a big problem, since everyone suddenly needed me for a dozen little chores. I swear, it's pretty sad that you can't just let your nails dry for 20 minutes without being expected to perform everyone's chores. I got angry but tried to get over it quickly. 


Andres made me drive (ha!) even though MY NAILS. Ugh. Whatever. It was a beautiful sunny day, warm already by noon when we left. It felt so good to have the windows open.


The kids do not socialize at these events. Instead, they sit on their phones and play games, then talk to each other telling all kinds of jokes in English. Hmmm, must be annoying to the others but no one says anything. The adult conversation was good, at least.


Bati and Gaby gave everyone these bouquets. They're beautiful even ten days later. 


A champagne toast. All in all, there was quite a bit of alcohol than I'm used to (wine, beer, and Scotch as well).


The meal was actually very delicious. Two kinds of hot sauce (the one made of peanuts wasn't very spicy but was so delicious), and the agrio was absolutely amazing. 


A toast from Andres´s grandmother. 



The whole group. Lots of excitement when Bati and Gaby announced that it's a girl and her name will be Amelia Isabel. 



Dessert was a Colombian treat called merengon. As also, very delicious.

More screen time after lunch.
Andres´s aunt was really happy with the chocolates we had brought her back from our UK trip. She kept reading the package and eventually decided she needed to open them right away and try them. 


Look familiar?


After lunch Laura got everyone involved in a card tournament. The traditional game here is "40" and we played on teams until there was a winning couple.


I was paired with Nico and Agus was paired with Bati (we drew sticks to see who played with who) and Nico even played the role of judge during one of the rounds. Agus got really worried when he saw cheating, so we had to remind him that cheating is a part of the game! (It's definitely a cultural thing and took me years to get used to, but now I think it's quite fun and funny. It definitely makes the game entertaining!)


A couple more rounds but Nico and I ended up losing the championship. Good times!

We got home around 8 pm and then rested a bit before our typical bedtime routine. 





No comments: