Monday, January 04, 2010

Homework


Homework. It is the bane of my existence. Well, Agustin's. Every day he comes home and has 2-3 assignments. For a six-year-old, I would expect assignments of 10-15 minutes, a total of no more than 20 minutes of homework a night (this is based on completely unscientific and unfounded evidence, pure opinion just by watching how long he can actually make it, and 20 minutes is even pushing it a bit). But, no. He will sometimes work for over an hour on his assignments. It is just too much, in my opinion, and while I try not to say anything to him, I really worry that homework is making him hate school (and I have seen this over and over in schools across the country). I am not against it, at all, but it should be meaningful and age appropriate, something fun that encourages the kids, not busy work.

My two cents!

(And you know it's bad when I realize I already have a "homework" tag!)

No comments: