Sunday, October 17, 2010

Colada morada, or purple drink


It's that time of the year again - colada morada. Yum! Andres's mom made some for lunch today, but I had already bought the ingredients yesterday at the grocery store, so I decided to make some this afternoon as well. In total, it took about 2 hours, but most of that was just watching pots boil.


I got the tea made (a heavenly-smelling mix of lemongrass, orange leaf, and myrtle), then the blueberries cooked, then the blackberry juice made. Andrés helped cut up the pineapple and strawberries, and when it all got thrown together I added a cup of sugar and the cornstarch mixture. I forgot the cinnamon, cloves and allspice, however, so I decided to stick them in a coffee filter sachet and add them to the final pot for a little while. Unfortunately, the sachet broke. I tried to pick all the little spices out, but I apologize in advance to anyone who breaks their tooth on an allspice kernel!

Andrés went to the store and came back with naked breads, which he decided to turn into guaguas for the kids. It was a hit! The kids won't touch the colada (Agustín seems to think fruit was God's way to punish us for Original Sin) but he sure will scarf down a guagua or two!


The finished product - it tasted awesome! And I am happy to say that I am keeping the tradition alive. I wonder how many gringas out there are making colada morada this finados?

1 comment:

Amy Elizabeth said...

Yikes! that seems like a lot of work but I do love the idea of having a tradition to keep up with.
Sort of like those damn cream wafers...