Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Ah the memories Grandpa Dan is making...!

The last few days Andrés and I have been doing some paperwork to register our U.S. Marriage certificate here in Ecuador. It has been a long and tedious process (think legalizing each paper in 2-3 different offices - or rather legalizing the legalizations!), but will make future paperwork in the country a lot easier once it is done. Yesterday we were in the Vital Records Offices from 10 a.m. until almost 4 p.m., and again today for an hour or so, and I have felt the exhaustion!

Anyhow, we got home, did homework, studied for Tin's math test, and ordered Papa John's. While we were eating, Andrés asked, "Are there any shows on tonight?" I'm thinking, "Tuesday? Nah, nothing good," so I say to him, "No, but on Thursday 30 Rock is going to be live, so we shouldn't miss it." He looked at me kinda funny, but didn't say anything.

Later, once we got the kids into bed (early might I add!!!) and were finishing the last story of the night, I suddenly realized what he meant: The Grandpa Dan Show!!! I ran to the computer and made the call. Luckily, no one had given up on us yet and we still caught the show.

And gems like this.


I think it will be hard for Agustín and Nicolás when they grow up not to realize that most grandpas won't put on elaborate puppet shows and dress up in giant Mickey Mouse costumes for their grandkids.

These will be great memories that will stay with them forever. These will be the stories they tell to their own kids. "When I was little, my grandpa used to dress up in funny costumes and dance and sing for us with puppets he made with his own two hands..."

*Like we kids will always remember the Toby-as-dinner-table-shark episodes, cabin Olympics (and really so much more) as well as, my personal favorite, the mantra "Pretend it's a giant Hershey bar!" - and yes, I've taken to using that exact same phrase, although my kids, because of cultural considerations, have NO idea what a Hershey bar is. I'm going to have to change it to Manicero bar, but it just doesn't have the same ring to it...

2 comments:

Jennie said...

SO happy you captured the man in the mickey suit, hahahaha

Kari said...

I sure wish I had gotten the full suit! He through me for a loop there and I wasn't expecting it, so I didn't get a shot! :)