Saturday, October 09, 2010

Oral surgery


The end of this smile?

Agustín went in for minor oral surgery this morning, to get rid of the the flap of skin that connects his upper lips to his upper gum. It has grown too much, too long, and is between his teeth, which is why they are so separated. Last week when the kids went to the dentist (Agus 0 cavities, Nico 3!!!) the dentist said it was time. I was really really nervous, and once we got there Tin was too. It took over an hour just to get the anesthesia in! Once the Novacaine started working, however, he was fine, although not too happy about getting stitches. We go back next week to get the stitches out, but in the end, he was a real trooper and hasn't complained even once about it all.

With this little operation, he will be ready for braces if necessary, but hopefully once his front teeth start coming in they will correct themselves a bit. Although, if he needs braces, I don't mind at all. It may improve his speech, too, according to the doctor.

2 comments:

Amy Elizabeth said...

I have said it before and will say it again....it is harder on you than it is on him.
What a good job he did!
I for one am going to miss that smile....

Jennie said...

Oh my little Agustin!! I wish I would have known, he could have talked to me since I just had the dreaded oral surgery too--how brave he was! I will definitely miss that smile, but looking forward to the new and improved as well!

And Nico!!! hahaha--sounds like he's following in his Aunt Jennie's footsteps ;)