Thursday, June 07, 2012

Spot - 31 Things Day 22




There’s a spot in our house at the top of the stairs on our second-floor landing where I spend a lot of my afternoons. It is in front of a west-facing window that gets the direct afternoon sun. It can be a space that is very warm on a chilly day, just because of that sun coming in. From that spot, looking out of the window, you can see Pichincha volcano, and spot the planes taking off (and sometimes landing, depending on the orientation of the airport at that moment). I sit in my orange chair from Colineal, the chair that Andrés and I really debated buying, because it was orange, and do a number of things throughout my day.
Some days I read there, whether it is a magazine, a book on my iPod Touch, or a real, physical print book. 
I crochet there often. My crochet bag is right next to the chair, and I love to just sit there during those in-between moments in the afternoon and crochet a couple of rows of whatever project I might be working on.
Sometimes I write and daydream there. I may be on my iPod browsing the Internet for news, information, inspiration, a couple of laughs. Or I might be there with my notebook, jotting down a list for the supermarket or a few things I want to remember for work. Or just staring out the window at the flower box. Sometimes the flowers are alive and beautiful, and sometimes they are dead, like now.
If I get a phone call from my sister or another family member, I will usually bring the phone out there and sit to talk and catch up.
I almost always bring the laundry up there so I can sit in the warm sun and fold clothes. It makes the job so much better. 
At night, before we go to bed, it is usually where the kids sit while we help them brush their teeth. They sit on the chair or the matching stool and we sit in front of them and brush, brush, brush, until the foam gets crazy big in their mouths and they gesture frantically for a sink break. I think we all love that moment at night.
I really love this spot.
In fact, I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who really loves this spot.

No comments: