Thursday, May 17, 2012

Jewelry - 31 Things

I guess I'll follow Amy's example and post my daily entries for our 31 Things class (with Ali Edwards, shoot shoot!). So glad that she's doing this with me - so cool to know someone out there on the forums. Maybe next time we can convince more of the Miller clan to join in ;)




 “Diamonds are a girl’s best friend.” At least that’s what they say. I don’t own a diamond, nor have I ever owned one. I don’t necessarily want a diamond, and do not notice diamonds on others. Sometimes this makes me feel strange, like I am missing something everyone else sees. Most of the time I don’t even really think much about it, or about jewelry in general.
But I do occasionally wear jewelry. Nothing expensive. Definitely nothing over ten dollars. In the stores I find myself drawn to necklaces and bracelets more than anything else, but in real life I seldom wear more than a ring and my watch.
RINGS | I like to wear rings. I admire larger rings and have a few myself, but don’t usually think to put them on in the morning. Of course I wear my wedding ring. It is very simple, just a gold band, bought for me by Andrés in Windsor, at Quicentro Mall. Inside I have his initials (and inside his, mine) and our wedding date.  About two years ago I actually had to go have it made smaller, and in an interesting turn of events, the man working there recognized the band and year it was made. Suddenly my very simple band became something even more special and unique. 
EARRINGS | I have a jewelry box full of earrings. Many are small, made of gold or silver, and bought locally. Some are things I see at the mall when I am home in the States for a visit. My problem is that I never remember to wear them. Andrés’s great-aunt loves to buy me earrings – long dangly ones. I think she notices that I never wear them and perhaps thinks that I don’t have any. When I was young, my ears were double pierced, but they have long since closed up. Now I am always on the lookout for the perfect “small” pair of earrings that I can wear all day and even to bed, and not have to worry about taking on or off.
NECKLACES | Necklaces are more my “thing.” I have many and like to buy them. I probably wear them once or twice a week. My favorite is a silver one on a long chain with a circle at the bottom, a heart inside of the circle. I don’t remember where I got it from, but it isn’t real silver. I like to wear a necklace when I’m teaching – it gives my hands somewhere to go – and that silver necklace is the best one for the job.
I remember my mom wearing an occasional ring or earrings, but I don’t remember her jewelry box. My maternal grandmother never wore any jewelry that I can remember. My mother-in-law, however, does, and while most of it is not expensive, one thing she really looked forward to when I married Andrés was being able to pass her jewelry on to me. Many of my more expensive pieces are from her. 

1 comment:

Amy Elizabeth said...

Its a good idea to post it here. I am not sure i will post these everyday for the next 31 days but will eventually post all of mine. If something else good happens that will 'win the day' :-)

I should really be in bed right now