Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Watch - 31 Things Day 12



I watch TV with Andrés or the kids. If I am alone, I might put the TV on for background noise. Often Andrés has the TV on while I do something else: crochet, read, blog, email, play on my iPod. Shows that I do like to watch with him are Psych (a comedy/mystery series), The Middle (a comedy about a “regular” middle class family), and Last Man Standing (another comedy, a household of all girls - love this because it reminds me of my family a bit). We used to watch 30 Rock (a behind-the-scenes fictional live sketch comedy series) and Modern Family (a comedy about today’s “modern” family - I love the Latin aspect), but they are no longer on the air.
I watch movies on DVDs. Mostly animated, since that’s what the kids watch. I miss some of the classic musicals of growing up (Grease, The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins, Annie) and have begun to buy them for our collection, but never find the time to watch them. I prefer to read than watch a movie, although I do like going to the theater. The moment when they turn out the lights is so exciting. We really don’t go to the movies enough.
I watch clips on the Internet occasionally. The kids like classic Grover clips and I enjoy watching these with them before bed some nights.
I watch the Internet, scouring it for information, updates, inspiration. It makes me feel connected to the larger world. 
I watch the kids as they fight and argue and laugh and find their way with each other. I love to eavesdrop on their conversations (lots of “In my world”s right now) and watch them as they play, exploding and crashing everything in sight, over and over again. They notice when I am watching and I am told to stop.
I watch Nico as he watches his big brother and imitates everything he does. As he gains his independence with writing and reading and a larger understanding of the world.
I watch Agus as he tries to make sense of some of the problems of eight-year-old life: bullying and teasing and leaving others out. As he watches his brother play video games and shadows each movement with special sound effects.
I watch the horizon for volcanoes, mountains, snow-capped peaks. When I am outside I am always on the lookout. I love that moment when I turn a corner and there it is, an enormous, majestic volcano right in front of my eyes.

No comments: