Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A peek into my crocheting foray

I have become obsessed with crochet.

Well, let's clarify, not obsessed. I mean, and Andrés would agree, I am not the obsessive type. I have never obsessed over anything. I don't have a one-track mind and pretty much go with the flow. I don't ever get involved in something and then go crazy and buy a bunch of stuff I later find I have no use for. Haven't done it with stamps or inks or stickers or rub ons or scrapbooking papers. So to say I am obsessed with crochet is a bit of an overstatement.

I just like to spend a couple of hours looking at crochet blogs and rereading patterns, imagining what it would be like to create the things I am seeing. I do like to read a pattern and try to see how it can come together into something - a bunch of garbled words that, let's face it, make no absolute sense at all. Charts that seem more complex than the anything I ever saw in science class.

I find it fascinating as I'm hooking (like my new "cool" word?) that a few twists and turns can create something. I watch the yarn get all knotty and can't believe that it is actually coming together before my eyes. It's amazing.

Yes, I said it - amazing. I know it is weird to make crochet into something mind-blowing, especially when I'm not the type of person at all to exaggerate something, but that's what it is - a life-changing, mind-blowing expereince. :)

So far I've made a few cowls and scarfs. A wrap or two. A bath puff and doilies. An ill-fated attempt at a sweater (I have NO idea what went wrong there. The pattern said Intermediate, I admit, but the motif came together perfectly, I had very few problems following the stitches, and my gauge was consistent throughout. I did make a Large, so maybe confused the sizes as I went? Although I checked after every few rows and thought I was being really careful. Anyhow, aside from the fact that I obviously didn't know how to stitch it together - the arms and shoulder were especially confusing - the sleeves are so long that I think I will keep the sweater around just to get a laugh now and then!)

I have also made a cool necklace - looks a bit hippyish but I still love it, but need to get a button on it.

My favorite new thing though is crocheting owls. I have patterns for an owl coffee cozy and an owl bag - but not the right yarn, so right now am stitching up these little cuties.


I could make these forever! No exaggeration! :) They come together really quickly - just a few hours - even though there are a lot of ends to weave in, the final result is worth it. I love all the colors, and the way the stitches overlap to get that effect throughout the rounds.

So, if you see any cute owlies that I can crochet - pass them along!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

super cute owlies!