Saturday, May 19, 2012

Ten things about me and reading - 31 Things



ONE | My favorite childhood memories were summers walking to the Bookmobile. I could easily check out 16 books each week and read each one.
TWO | One of the hardest things about moving to Ecuador was the lack of public lending libraries and the limited selection at bookstores.
THREE | I will always prefer traditional books vs reading books on an e-reader. Nevertheless, I’m happy that I can buy books for my iPod Touch. It is freeing to have a selection available of new and old, right at my fingertips.
FOUR | Even though the device tries to mimic the experience, reading books on my iPod Touch is not so enjoyable.The screen is small, the device difficult to hold, the glare eventually tires my eyes, it is difficult to visualize where things are in the book. Reading electronically has taken a little of the joy out of reading.
FIVE | I almost never leave home without a book in my purse/bag/car. 
SIX | I am not super particular about the genres I read, but I do go through stages. Ten years ago I would only read “highbrow” literature: classics, Nobel Prize-winning authors, winners of the Booker Prize. Five years ago I was only interested in magazines and “fluff.” Nowadays I find myself reading non-fiction.
SEVEN |  Two of my favorite books are Wuthering Heights and Les Miserables. I was an English major and read a lot of 18th-19th century British literature, and to this day I continue to prefer British writers. I miss the analyzing books for symbolism and motifs of my college days.
EIGHT | I wasn’t expecting to love the Harry Potter series so much. I can’t wait until the boys are ready for me to read it to them. I ask them every week. 
NINE |  The boys are read to every single night. AndrĂ©s and I take turns. They actually look forward to bedtime and this ritual helps them fall asleep quickly. Some days they have us read for 45 minutes or more.
TEN |  I don’t intend to ever get rid of any of the books in my collection. Most have been brought in suitcases from the States every year. I love each one.

I have so much more to say on the subject - I will probably be revisiting this idea again and again in the future.

Here is the look of the two-page spread:


No comments: