Thursday, April 08, 2010

Still running


I have been running/jogging as much as possible, but haven't been as constant as I was a year ago. My new work schedule has proven to be very difficult to work around - it is so unpredictable. Some days I think I'll be able to exercise and then at the last minute will have to give a workshop, or other days I get home late because of traffic. I get home about 5:30 if I'm lucky. By the time I get dressed and ready to jog, it is usually about a quarter to six. That means max 30 minutes of light. I usually walk/jog for about 45 minutes, which means going in the dark. I don't like going in the dark too much - I'm never sure how safe it is out there once the sun goes down, although we have no complaints in our neighborhood so far and I have never felt too threatened, (there have been a few scares but nothing too bad), but aside from that, it is DARK, and the sidewalks and streets are all irregular, which means a twisted ankle for sure.

Anyway, tonight I got out there and decided that I would try to beat the twilight (remember - on the equator that means 5 minutes of dusk and then pitch dark). Andres got a picture of me as I made the rounds in the park.

So since the sun comes up at 6 (dawn also lasts about 5 minutes), the whole dark thing means that I can't get up early to go running (Andres leaves the house at about 6:15 and I stay with the kids), and that I usually don't go later. So Saturday and Sunday have been the only days I have been constant.

I really want that to change. I miss running. I miss it a lot. I had hopes to run a 5K one of these days... but it's going to have to go on the back burner for the moment I guess until I feel more comfortable with my schedule.

3 comments:

Amy Elizabeth said...

Amen to that sister! I have been trying for weeks now to get into some type of workout schedule or routine and it is just not working into my schedule right now.
I keep feeling like I am making excuses but when I put it all down on paper, there are just not enough hours in the day right now.

Jennie said...

If you're here this summer when Lifetime Fitness has their 5K torchlight we should all run it together :)

Jennie said...

http://www.torchlight5k.com/

Shoot, you're JUST missing it!