Sunday, May 30, 2010

Jatun Hausi, Zip lines and Sore backs, Oh my!


A couple of years ago, when my dad came for a visit, we went to a great restaurant, right on the equator, in Cayambe, called Jatun Hausi. The food was good, and there was a great playground for the kids, nice decor, and a swimming pool. Andres's aunt invited the whole family today, in honor of my upcoming birthday! We were going to go west to subtropical Arashá, but heard there were landslides on the road, so changed plans at the last minute and went up north instead.





We got there and Agustín was fascinated by the sign on the door. "It's in English, Mommy!" He decided he needed to see the other side. "I bet it says, Closed," he told me. And he was right!



Some big antique padlocks.


Today was a bit too cold for swimming, but the kids had fun on the playground.

"Nico, why don't you swing?"
"I'm waiting for Tin to come back from the bathroom."



There was a zip line, and after a few runs with Mommy holding onto him, Agustín finally got up enough nerve to go down it by himself.


"Andrés, watch him while I try to get a better picture, please."


Whoops! Where's Tin? Um, what!??? I only got ... his feet?!?

Ouch - poor kid got the wind knocked out of him as Daddy watched him slip from the zip line while Mommy was trying to get the perfect shot. He fell flat on his back, right on a root sticking out of the ground, and hurt his back a bit. He'll live. But he'll be sore tomorrow!

Luckily, we ran into a kid from playgroup, who helped take our mind off of the pain.






You gotta love the look on my mother-in-law's face as she watches Agustín fall...

3 comments:

Jennie said...

great post! Poor Tin!!! He seemed ok when we talked to him, so glad he's ok :) Looks like a fun day!!

Amy Elizabeth said...

And the mommy who just sits by to capture the moment :-)
Reminds me of those America's Funniest Videos where people are getting hurt and you think, why in the world is the person filming still filming?!
Ok, not that this is that serious....you are right, he is fine but makes me giggle.

Kari said...

i didn't even have a clue! the zip line goes so fast, i had to aim my camera at where i was expected him to come out. i took the shot as soon as he said he was going, but all i got was his feet! it took me a minute to figure out where he was, and why he wasn't in the frame for the shot! hilarious. poor kid.