Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Love/hate relationship


For about five years, we haven't owned a toaster. Instead, we've relied on our toaster oven (this is our second in those five years - and YES! I know it's really dirty and needs a crumb-cleaning - try to ignore that, please!). I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it, however.

Love:
  • It is really convenient for making quick breads, cupcakes, etc.
  • It is much easier to turn on than our regular oven (must be something with the altitude, but I can never get my oven to light up right here in Quito - it always "blows up" in my face or just doesn't light, period).
  • You can easily see how things are doing.
  • It is easy to set the temp (it's in Fahrenheit rather than Celsius, like our "real" oven, so I don't have to do any math to figure out the right temp for baking).
  • It cooks things really fast.

Hate:
  • It cooks things really fast.
  • Toast almost always burns.
  • Food can burn too quickly, so you have to be watching it much better.
  • Things burn really quickly in it.
  • Did I mention that things burn quickly in it?
  • Oh, and I should probably add that it is a bit of an eyesore, takes up too much counter space, and is always full of crumbs, no matter how often I clean it.
  • And THINGS BURN IN IT!
  • Almost every time.

Can you tell I am still upset about my burnt toast this morning?

1 comment:

Amy Elizabeth said...

Solution: get a toaster.
I don't really think that toaster ovens are really meant for toast.